Job is goooooood

5 Apr

Six months into working by myself, there is much that I appreciate about a 9am to 6 errr 8pm job. Infact, this post will try and work around you to appreciate what you’ve got in a job, about which you crib a LOT !

1. Office coffee/tea : There are 3 things good about the horrible tasting coffee. First, that it is free. Second that it is automated and third, that it is a good excuse to get off work and grab a quick discussion on weather, bosses, work-load and of course intelligent discussion on ‘you know what she is wearing today’ ….. OMG … ! And a well acceptable excuse.

<on phone>

Boss : where are you? blah blah blah blah blah blah!

ME : Did not get lunch … 😉 so….grabbing a quick cup of coffee (since the past 15 mins)

Boss: Oh ok, rush to my cabin … once done

2. Air Conditioning : Until last year I used to smirk on everyone who would complain about summers. Thanks to the office air conditioning. Infact, i usually was upset about too much cooling and bone ache cos of it.

Well you guys, just try and get yourself really cool in office, untill you move out on your own and dread the overheads of house cooling and electric meter readings. Yeah, even though the electricity department claims otherwise, they definitely run into huge profits.

3. The HR department: So how many of you feel that the HR department does no work. I love these guys, ever since I have none of them around me.

These guys work to take you away from work, planning all the company paid parties …  Diwali partiees, holi get-togethers. They make you get out of office by providing cabs and all (at the same time getting paid for it) … in fact these guys have done a stupendofantabulouslyfantastic job by convincing management that there should be yearly increments (even if it is just 2%), perks and providing extreme comfort at the work place. They have infact corrupted the system, and in the process benefited millions.

4. Bosses: They are God sent. Every time something goes wrong, you can blame it on poor briefing, mislead guidance, poor leadership skills, low motivation and stress due to overload and in most cases get rid of it all via a banter with your colleagues over an after office session. But, had there been no boss – just think about it – who would become the subject of all your talk, know of it and yet  bear you with all dignity. They make for a good crib of 5 mins every 5 mins. 😐

Lastly, this is the most important part of it all. Your puny salary  gets you piece of mind(of your bosses), some bank balance every month. Also, a bank balnce ensures you dignity with the world, and with the Gods of credit.  Enjoy, while those Credit Card guys toil day and night to somehow get your number on their database and all that you do is shout on them when they call….at-least they  don’t put down calls on your face when you declare that you are self occupied!

35 Responses to “Job is goooooood”

1. Anshul Sushil April 5, 2010 at 9:14 pm #

So can I say? – I am proud to have a job 😀

• Aakriti April 6, 2010 at 10:22 am #

I am shocked that you still have doubts!

2. Sameer Panchangam April 5, 2010 at 9:20 pm #

LOL!

• Aakriti April 6, 2010 at 10:21 am #

You have to be in a job to laugh at me like this 😛

3. anishh anand April 6, 2010 at 10:07 am #

boy now dat u put it like dis- sucks bein self employed n my own boss;)p

• Aakriti April 6, 2010 at 10:21 am #

Yeah.. realized the gravity of the post once I had posted it !

4. Lalit April 6, 2010 at 10:36 am #

Job provides you a comfort level, still some brave hearts choose to explore unknown territories. Later on we talk about them (God sent / gifted).

5. Sukhpreet April 6, 2010 at 11:31 am #

i kept smiling while reading your blog… i could relate to each n every word mentioned in it! specially the coffee wala part… bt it made me miss you 😦

anyway, i wud rate it as one of your best blogs!

keep up the good wrk gal!

• Aakriti April 6, 2010 at 11:42 am #

Aww! I completely miss you!

6. Jharna Bhatanagar April 6, 2010 at 12:53 pm #

haha… so true, really good post. its like a job writing a auto biography !
    none the less, cribbing still continues !! 🙂

7. Richa April 6, 2010 at 1:21 pm #

U r too good girl!!!
    Wat m i supposed to say… I love the way u crib 😛 😛

Kp Up!!!

• Aakriti April 6, 2010 at 10:48 pm #

@jharna good idea – can do a job autobigrpahy 🙂 Job says – “as much as i give you, the more you mistreat me”

@richa Thank you – saw your blog… feel great that the appreciation comes from a prolific writer like you!

8. Rachna Malhotra April 6, 2010 at 1:29 pm #

I would say “Grass is always Green at other end ” .. so no matter how u think or i think.. we both will always wish to be at each others place… though on diff work… 😛 i like ur writing aks..

even we miss ur acts on the boss… really:)

No more time for coffee now but reading ur blog do makes me feel that one should not miss the coffee moments… hahahha.

9. Kartik April 6, 2010 at 3:31 pm #

nice..nice post… Good to have u back..:)

has it been 6 months already?? time really flies..

I can totally understand what you r talkin abt.. Thanks to my previous jobs. But in the current one,

1) We pay for our own Coffee/tea
    2) AC is just above my head. And more often than not I catch cold 😦
    3) Being a 12 people company. Everyone’s their own HR. And now dealing with Previous company HRs I hate them more..
    4) Boss – Well I have one.. so yes there is always something to talk abt 🙂

Yeah I get a salary at the end of the month.. so no complaints 🙂

• Aakriti April 6, 2010 at 3:36 pm #

I am not saying don’t complain – I am saying appreciate and complain like…
      It is all because of the Boss that XYZ had a bad appraisal. But, XYZ is gone for Good!

10. Nachiketa April 6, 2010 at 6:01 pm #

well said rachna… grass is always greener on the other side… just yesterday someone said to me ure ‘caught in the wrong job’… after eating a zesty brownie…..

i said don’t wanna be without a boss cause… ppl always HAVE to crib abt their boss n blame everything on them… if i’m my own boss… who do i crib about…. 🙂

Love ure humorous take on life….

• Aakriti April 6, 2010 at 10:49 pm #

@rachna and @nachi – I have to analyse the pros and cons of being on both sides 🙂

11. mayukh April 6, 2010 at 8:28 pm #

At football, you’ve been a centre forward throughout…you have been trained to find the open space, outsmart the defenders, outrun all, compete and score, to take the cross and thump it in for the league toppers! you’r great and world wants to see you there; the coach wants you there – run, fight, compete and finish! there’s always someone with the water! A wrong shot and the winger to blame for the imperfect cross; or the midfielder for the misjudged pass. A genius you are indeed – prolific scorer. Entire career you have been trained and you repeat it to be the best…

but suddenly you think that you could also dribble…do magic with your feet – step overs, fake kicks, twists and turns. you get to the midfield and do that…no-one likes it. the coach’s getting impatient and will call you off soon… but suddenly you create magic…dribble past two, dodge the third, outrun the fourth and baaaam – the ball thunders into the net…and you are great! everyone analyses to praise the move – the rationality, the daring, the skill, the vision and made you the play-maker. young kids are shown the recording over and over again. or you may fail at the first move, coach hates you and all of a sudden you are no-one, forgotten and thrown out to the sidelines.

Oops! I just remembered this game is a tad different…it goes on and a large number of players can play. You are likely to play for 36,792,000 minutes and on a 510,072,000 sq. km pitch, hardly 0.01% of which you will get to see. And, most important, the referee is a lunatic – he can show a red card for no reason, for no fault of yours, at your best moment on the pitch, on your celebration of a goal and even when you are in the sidelines with a broken foot. Any second you may be shown the way out and mark my words – you will get the red card…whateva you do, good or bad, legendary or anonymous; you can not escape the red card! Everything is defined – the rules, your skills, your position, your team, your coach, even the colour of your jersey. Yet, you can choose some positions, some moves, some shots and some expressions – be it the exuberance on scoring or the frustration on missing. Go ahead! All the best

• Aakriti April 6, 2010 at 10:49 pm #

I am unsure of what you really meant – may be you can do another comment:P

12. Varun B April 7, 2010 at 12:18 pm #

I know job is gud, but I never knew its dat goooood…U are really gud at cribbing, nicely written in detail.

• Aakriti April 7, 2010 at 1:36 pm #

Thanks you!

13. manya April 12, 2010 at 11:36 am #

never thought that 9-5 can have so many pros!

14. Soumi April 13, 2010 at 1:28 pm #

This was a breath of fresh air in the middle of an uncertain atmosphere at work, especially at this time of the year – when you expect only to be disappointed. Had a good laugh indeed!! Keep writing, keep amusing….

15. Mrunmaiy April 23, 2010 at 4:20 pm #

i’ve been working from home (read: without an office) since past 6 months too. I feel completely in sync with the thoughts u listed above.

Thanks for the fun read.

• Aakriti April 26, 2010 at 11:22 pm #

Life really is always greener on the other side!

16. priya April 23, 2010 at 5:26 pm #

trust me…this post has confirmed my decision to not go the self-employed way 😉 Not something u’re gonna like too much i know…lol

• Aakriti April 26, 2010 at 11:21 pm #

Boohoo! I am really sad I wrote this post!

17. hitesh April 27, 2010 at 11:18 am #

like the boss one…………………..

my TL from last company used to say……….. “I’m your TL and i’m here to clean up your shit here………you create shit…..i stand up for you ppl…..and clean it for you……………this is our relations……you create as much shit you want…..but get me good numbers…………….and if you do………..i’ll clean your shit…..without even asking….a single damn question……………”

aaaahhhhh those wonderful days………….now everything is on me……and i’m responsible for any and everything i do……………..

\,,/

18. Kanupriya May 19, 2010 at 12:48 pm #

LOL, good one. You know even I used to think about the HR managers, cribbing to/about the boss and the company provided commuting vehicles even if its was sada hua bus when moved from bigger companies to a start up :). Life is just so different there. Both has its own challenges and fun 🙂

19. prianca June 7, 2010 at 2:29 am #

ahha Awesome ya.. something that brought a smile back..!!
    not working as of now.. n always so scared to get into a job.. for all the cribbing i get to here from my friends.. but this one make things look good n happy to be at..!!

nice one ya .. gr8 posts..!!!
    Best Wishes..!!

20. silentwhisperss August 9, 2010 at 5:52 pm #

Talking about presenting even worst of things in an interesting way 😉
    Very nicely put..this was really needed for many ppl that I know who cant have enough of cribbing.

Made for a good reading…:)

21. Vaibhav Lall September 8, 2010 at 3:04 pm #

What a sooperb post. We have seen people writing about why job sucks and all but this one had a twist !
    Being an entrepreneur, could relate to it.
    Sharing it further ! 🙂

22. Bokul September 8, 2010 at 10:12 pm #

I lowe my job!

23. Shopping complexes in Chennai January 18, 2012 at 12:19 pm #

Aaaawesome post!!!!! 😀 Many of us do what you were depicting!! Really nice 😀 Looking for such posts in the near future 😉 And by the way, good sense of humour!!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention Job is goooooood « Thinking Axe ! -- Topsy.com - April 7, 2010

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Skills[inside]. Skills[inside] said: Appreciate what you’ve got in a job, about which you crib a LOT! http://bit.ly/a0tSf6 Via: @Aakriti […]