IPL is pro-feminism..

13 May

So every year, at least there will be one month, that will get dedicated to Cricket by both the genders. Well, there seems to be nothing extraordinary about that…

Well, there is. You would not believe it, but this form of cricket is pro-feminism. This game of Knight Riders, Chargers, Dare Devils and Super Kings promotes the  power of women.

Several reasons why I say this –

The first one is pretty obvious if you watch the game. You probably don’t know the names of the cricketers in every team. But that in any case is  not what you want to know.  You attention has totally been skewed by that the ladies on the fence(not in the crowd). The women that support the cause of a Green Earth via this popular game. This is no more a man’s game…has brought in the participation of women to the game. As far as I can think, this is the only form of cricket where each and every six is for the cause of women. (There doesnt seem to be any other reasons for so many sixes and fours)

The second reason is preity obvious too, 20-20 has not only brought women to the fence, but also infront of TV sets at home. According to TRPs and demographics of viewers, a lot of women have adapted to bearing this shorter form of the game(with more masala).  I say, this is great. Women can now appear intelligent(anlyse the game with men), appeal more to men and gain FAKE  intelligence with some inside stories on IPL organisers, franchise owners and cricketers, rather than learn the wicked ways of bahus in serials (although, the primary reason for them to watch the IPL, is to make sure their men remain controlled).

This exciting game also makes it easier for women to have their ways with men.

Eg ;

I say- I want to watch a movie

He says – No ways

I say – I am going for shopping

He says – Ok sure… (trying to make up for no movie)

I say – Come, along

He says -Pleeees, I love when the Chargers play..  like their Che.. uh oh Chaminda Vaas…

I say – No worries, I will jut be back in 2 hours … make sure you give me a download when back

He says (without taking his eyes off the screen)- Sure – take cash out of the drawer…

Me – 😮

And the game continues ….

So you see, IPL covers  three important aspects including sports, acads and management to make sure that women remain on top.

22 Responses to “IPL is pro-feminism..”

1. Kartik May 14, 2009 at 10:35 am #

LOL… this is ur best (and the funniest post) since I have been following ur blog 🙂

I still think it will be a Man’s game, but i like the thought ” Women can now appear intelligent(anlyse the game with men)…… ”

Trivia – Did u know that Jacques Kallis’ sister is a Cheerleader???
    check this out… http://www.mid-day.com/sports/2009/apr/270409-Jacques-Kallis-Royal-Challengers-IPL.htm

• Aakriti Bhargava May 14, 2009 at 11:09 am #

thanks Kartik..seriously.. it is a woman’s game now… and i do know that, Jacque Kallis’s sister is a cheerleader!

• Aakash February 11, 2010 at 6:18 pm #

What?

2. Geetika May 14, 2009 at 11:08 am #

Fundoo post. This time, no matter how hard I try, I have no meat to rip you apart. Good going woman! Three cheers…(pun intended) 🙂

3. Phoenixritu May 14, 2009 at 11:48 am #

LOL, and I thought it was just me who loved 20-20 because it is short, I can “appear” intelligent and them girls dance well

• Aakriti Bhargava May 14, 2009 at 12:13 pm #

I love 20-20 very much… more or less for the same reasons

4. Indian Homemaker May 14, 2009 at 1:21 pm #

Lol I love IPL because suddenly nobody wonders how much time I am spending infront of the laptop 😉

5. Pallavi May 14, 2009 at 2:09 pm #

I still hate cricket. Don’t want to “appear to be intelligent”. Have absolutely no interest in who wins and who looses! My husband of course is busy watching the cheerleaders oops I meant cricket 😉

6. rachna May 14, 2009 at 2:34 pm #

good one…. though i m away with IPL this time… i would just remember the zoo.. zoo… on this ipl…

7. Anshul May 14, 2009 at 4:41 pm #

Can I ask why is it that ladies are mostly commenting here? and BTW – IPL match is on right now…and guess what I am doing 😛

8. Nachiketa May 14, 2009 at 5:39 pm #

Awesome……

For me IPL is time to have a party with alcohol n friends….. [in that order 😉 ]…..

9. Nitin May 15, 2009 at 7:55 am #

Nice Photo! 😛

10. Jyoti May 20, 2009 at 2:55 pm #

This is funny! But it reads very antifeminist to me KK! Which self respecting feminist wants to “appear intelligent”, “appeal more to men and gain FAKE intelligence”, “make sure their men remain controlled” ?

• Aakriti Bhargava May 20, 2009 at 3:44 pm #

O ho! think reverse… men think so!!! and women can thus gain advantage by appearing SO!

11. akash May 21, 2009 at 10:30 pm #

Like the example a lot. SO was it a real discussion or just an example?

• Aakriti Bhargava May 22, 2009 at 12:23 am #

Real life… I am folllowing IPL closely for all the right reasons… and taking full advantage!

12. madhavi May 21, 2009 at 10:40 pm #

Oh I am completely unintelligent my dear. I don’t know who owns who for the life of me jee. I don’t even know whose bahu who is, except I wouldn’t wear make-up like them if someone put a gun to my head… But ah yes these poor kiddie boys get to play and make a fast buck so its good for them slumdoggies yes, and when we get bored of the malls, I guess we can buy a box at the stadium and all feel fitter and bloody sharp about the game. All that prowess just by just LOOKING at ’em play, eh?

• Aakriti Bhargava May 22, 2009 at 12:28 am #

Oh ho , this is more about perception change than self change… you see the difference!

13. Anjali Berry May 28, 2009 at 10:50 am #

I love ur comments on the IPL……it was nice to watch the matches…….atleast the hubby only concentrated on eating and watching the matches and no questions aasked……..the pix u picked in indeed a good one….mandira bedi also did her job well..of looking gud and her comments on cricket…..indeed women can be on top of everything..even if it was considered a man’s domain…….IT has changed!!!!

14. Anjali Berry May 28, 2009 at 10:52 am #

I will never forgive you for meeting Shashi Tharoor alone without letting me know about the meet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is indeed amazing and am proud of our electorate to make him win and have intelligent people like him be our mantri…………………..ALL the Best Shashi Tharoor for your stint in Politics.

15. Ketan June 24, 2009 at 5:28 pm #

HAHA
    INfact thats wat Salmaan khan said on Set max before one of the IPL matches that his dad has given permissions for god knows all sorts of things while watching cricket!!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. wroon.com » Blog Archive » IPL is pro-feminism.. - May 14, 2009

[…] the rest here: IPL is pro-feminism.. Related ArticlesBookmarksTags Maloof Money Cup 2009 triples media coverage Maloof […]