Practising corruption or high ambition!

30 Jun

I am inspired by this report on CNN – That India is a country entrenched with corruption. I disagree!

We are a country of unsatisfied and ambitious people … that what takes us ahead in life.

Example: Traffic Light is red. The Car AC is on. Traffic policeman approaches us. Knocks on the glass window. Window shield down. Mouthful of paan, in a heavy voice says “Madam ne seat belt nahi pehni hai, challan katenge”

“Arre sir… jaane do” “ab pehen lengi” “Allahabad se aayi hai””yahan ke kanoon nahi jaanti”

Spits on the road, and says in a much clearer voice “Toh ab jaan jayengi jab chalan katega toh, jaan jayengi aur yaad bhi rakhengi”

“Sir maaf kar do”

“Thik hai jaiye”

Me astounded. Wondering. As window shields goes up.

“Arre bhai, rukiye, kuch token to dete jaiye” (token???)

Eyes go up in expression of non-comprehension

“500 – de de” ” Ya kaar bagal mein laga le”

I look at my companion. He looks at me. Pays. Zoom past the traffic as the light turns green. Grateful for his generosity and out of court settlement for a 200 ka challan settled in 500.

Boss! you cant call this corruption. It is only ambition without the right direction.

More of such situations occur in everyday lives of Businessmen… salaried professionals are definitely oblivious to the fortunes of handling Govt Authorities in land, electricity and similar kind of ambitious dealings.

More is always less in India… 🙂

If you have read this… and remember your experience.. enlighten me.. through a comment…and I’ll add it in to situations here.. Thanking you in anticipation

10 Responses to “Practising corruption or high ambition!”

1. Jyoti June 30, 2008 at 9:41 am #

Why were you not wearing a seat belt?

2. geetika June 30, 2008 at 11:14 am #

Poor you! Had to pay 500 for 200 challan. Genarally people pay 50 for 200 challan and sometimes even lesser. Actually, the traffic cop tok advantage of the fact that u are from Allahabad. Next time, don’t pay a penny above Rs 200.

3. Sukhpreet June 30, 2008 at 11:39 am #

Wonderful yar… hats off to your intelligence!!!! i can make out how laid back u r (just like me)… jsut for the heck of not taking any pain… you can go out of the way to pay Rs 300 EXTRA!!! Simply COMMENDABLE!!!!!

4. A.D. June 30, 2008 at 11:57 am #

I didnt get the funda of paying 500 bucks for waiving off a chalan of 200 bucks. Jago Beta Jago… Its better to give more money in challan which will go in government treasure than paying the corrupt khaki clad vampires.

5. sharmaji-se-poocho June 30, 2008 at 11:57 am #

Are where is your car registered?
    if its UP or haryana then just drive on, the delhi police can not even send the chalan to your place. moreover, remember my adage “ride rough or dont ride at all”.

6. Anshul Sushil June 30, 2008 at 12:02 pm #

J , G and S –

I think you should remember that it was Aakriti (Damsel of Allahabad) who was driving …I once had an opportunity of sitting behind her udankhatola (she calls it her Bike which actually was a scooty) in Allahabad…and mind you the so called Scooty was actually Udankhatola…and when I , scared to my soul, asked her to slow down – she calmly said…”This is my style” – you want to sit – sit else please jump…- we covered 2 Kms in 1 minute…so I hope this describes why she does not care about anything when she is road…she is Rusticallly Roady since birth!

7. Sravanthi June 30, 2008 at 1:43 pm #

Can ambition justify everything one does?

Is it ambition…

a) When people die of swallowing adultrated medicine because the manufacturer wanted to make more money?

b) When orphanages get 1 /10 th of funding allocated to them because by the time it passed through all the “ambition without the right direction”

c) When farmers commit suicide because the funds allocated to them for their flood raveged farms (thier only livelihood) never reached them as people responsible for it “got ambitious”

Hum kitney things koh carpet ke neechein hide kar saktein hein saying that its govt’s fault.. its bad salary for these guys… etc

I think its taking individual responsibility for our own actions.

I know merra toh total baashan ho gaya hein yaha par… but ur article has really moved me to ask these things!!

8. Nachiketa June 30, 2008 at 4:10 pm #

so totally agree with Sravanthi and why the hell were you not wearing a seat belt?

u ought to be whacked for not wearing one……..

haven’t we seen enough in this office due to negligence……

9. Malesh Ponnusamy June 30, 2008 at 6:39 pm #

It is the lack of self-discipline that is making the country corrupt. People who are hungry after money and people who have plenty and dont know what to do with it. And dont mind off loading a few because of their lack of discipline.

Apt reply by Sravanthi. Atleast there is a person who understands the gravity of the situation.

10. Arkid July 3, 2008 at 2:16 pm #

Yeah..seen this happen so many times..very true…bang on…that is all i can say..